Basketball Patent, Art & Copy, Pierce, 1929, 16x20
INVENTOR: George Pierce
James Naismith invented the game of basketball in December 1891, but not the basketball. That came later, but how much later is open to some question as several companies began making the leather sphere long before a man named George Pierce came on the scene with this patent. Naismith turned to the A.G. Spalding Co. to make the official basketball in 1894. Spalding was a former professional baseball pitcher turned sporting goods impressario and was already the official maker of National League baseballs. However, Spaulding never decided to patent the basketball. But Pierce did. In 1928, he filed a one-page document with five drawings of basketballs on it with the U.S. Patent Office. He signed his full name and had an attorney, whose name is illegible, sign it as well. A year later it was awarded and assigned to Spaulding although it is unknown if he ever profited from the patent.
Reproduction of the original patent artwork and application submitted to the US Patent Office.
Art is printed on premium, heavy-weight art paper for an aged and authentic look
Framed art is double-matted and presented in a high-quality wooden & glass frame
All components are proudly made in the USA!
Also available Personalized - enter the Print # in the search box above to find the listing for this item that is customizable with copy you provide.
Flat-Rate Shipping regardless of quantity purchased.
Prints typically ship same day and framed art ships by the next business day.
Size and Specs16x20 Print Only
Sized for standard 16x20 frame
Art printed on premium, acid-free heavyweight art paper
Delivered rolled in protective mailing tube
16x20 Matted & Framed
Quality wood frame with real glass
Overall frame size is 18-1/4" x 22-1/4"
Product weight is 5 lbs
Mat is 2-1/2" in width around art
Double-matted: charcoal (top) and black (bottom)
Frame is sealed and includes hanging hardware
- Great gift for the basketball player, basketball coach, or sports lover.
- Expertly mounted and framed in black & white to present strong, visually-appealing artwork
- Our technical art makes a great office wall hanging for professionals, supervisors, office managers, and workers
- Art makes a great gift for the hobbyist, inventor, or professional - for the home or office
- Interesting artwork creates a conversation piece -- visitors & guests will ask about it!
- All products available in wholesale quantities & individually labelled and barcoded
- PatentsAsArt 201604